The Middletown Volunteer Fire Department has set up a GoFundMe page on behalf of firefighter Shawn Menear, who was badly injured while helping fight a house fire Sunday night in Royalton, Dauphin County.
According to Fire Chief Kenton Whitebread, Jr., Menear became trapped for over 40 minutes in the burning house after the second floor collapsed onto the first floor where he was.
The extrication took longer than expected because a portion of a chimney which was inside a wall and initially unseen by firefighters was also on top of him.
The GoFundME effort is to assist with whatever normal life expenses Menear has, since he was the head of a single income household and will be laid up for quite some time to come at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Burn Center in Philadelphia.
On a positive note, Chief Whitebread tells the Lebanon Valley Daily News that he spoke with Menear Monday evening and called him “a real trooper who was in good spirits.”
Menear has been a firefighter with the Middletown Volunteer Fire Department for over 20 years.
If you wish to donate, log onto gofundme.com and search for Firefighter Shawn Menear Recovery. A goal of $50,000 has been established.