Forever Lebanon Valley

Apartment House Fire Displaces 6 Residents

Lebanon City Firefighters beat back flames at 245 S. 12th Street March 8th (Photos submitted by Fire Commissioner Duane Trautman).
Lebanon City Firefighters beat back flames at 245 S. 12th Street March 8th (Photos submitted by Fire Commissioner Duane Trautman).
Lebanon City Firefighters beat back flames at 245 S. 12th Street March 8th (Photos submitted by Fire Commissioner Duane Trautman).

A two unit apartment house caught fire Tuesday night and presented a dicey situation for responding Lebanon City firefighters. Flames got their start at 245 South 12th Street sometime around 8:45pm.

Fire Commissioner Duane Trautman tells The Lebanon Valley Daily News that the residents of the lower unit discovered the fire coming from the ceiling fan in their bathroom.

Unfortunately, they left the door of the bathroom open, as well as the front and back doors of their apartment so that their cat would be able to make its way out of the apartment safely.

But even though firefighters were on scene within a few minutes, the air coming in through the open doors only made the situation worse:

The fire caused significant damage to the lower apartment and heat and water damage to the upper unit. Six tenants were displaced and were assisted by the American Red Cross.

Trautman says there’s at least $120,000 damage to the building.